Thursday, July 10, 2008

Mid-America Show Update

Greetings from Shaumburg, IL. John Brush and I are here at the show to load up on fresh material for the office and future auctions. We've made some great purchases and we're excited to get them back to the office for next week's sales.

The market is really tight right now. Despite the greater economy, supply/demand flow for certified coins seems relatively unaffected. We do continue to see a shift towards quality of (grading) in coins, especially coins over $1000. Dealers are fussier about what they'll buy. But supply of coins, even at medium sized (regional) show like this one is really tight. Win and I spoke last week about how few fresh collections are coming out of the woodwork. But very few interesting deals have come on the market. The Stack's sale here contains all of 300 lots of U.S. coins...

Hottest Coins Right Now
1. Collector Coins (circ coins in the $50-$1000 range)
2. Red Indians & Lincolns

Can't Seem to Find Enough of
1. Collector Coins (see above)
2. PCGS MS67 Washington quarters (where are they????)
3. Dated Saints in the $5000-$15000 range
4. Red Lincolns (sell faster than we can possibly find them)
5. DGS coins (well, just kidding... a little... they've been selling a lot faster on our site than we even anticipated. Got raw coins to sell? Send them to DGS and we'll sell them for you -- fast.)

If you have any of the above to sell we are very aggressive buyers. In this market we have great cash flow and we really need coins for our twice-weekly auctions.

.
.
Thank you again for reading my posts. I look forward to your responses/inquiries. I will respond to all your questions personally.

-John

4 comments:

Oltrader3 said...

John, many collectors have been commenting on how difficult it is to find higher grade quality seated Liberty coinage recently, especially at anywhere near retail pricing.
Oldtrader3

John Feigenbaum said...

No question about it. Seated coins are extremely difficult, especially when you eliminate the 10 most-common dates in the set. After that, filling holes in a collection is a long-drawn out affair -- in ANY grade. I especially love S-mint coinage from the 1857-1870 in all the denominations. They are so underrated. But many other dates are as well. Regarding pricing, you can really forget the sheets. One has to look at auction records for the best indication of value. But some of these dates trade so infrequently that the pricing guides don't keep up. If you see a coin you need, negotiate with the seller and step up. By the way, our Richmond Collection had one of the most complete collections of Seated coins ever offered and therefore a rich database for values. (Click here and follow the links to Richmond 3 results.)

Steve M said...

John, I am a happy and satisfied customer of DLRC. With that said, I was very disappointed with DLRC in regard to the Mid America show. I drove from Indianapolis just to bring my batch of coins for consignment/GAP to you after talking with Jason the week before. I arrived there at 2:30 pm on the FIRST customer day, which was Friday July 11. No one was at the DLRC table! I called DLRC and Jason told me that you guys had to catch a 5:30 flight. That's fine, but that gives the impression that you don't have time for the average customer and only are interested in business from other dealers. I hope that isn't true. The place was really hopping and I was able to drop off some coins for grading while I was there, though my business with you was my primary objective. This is the second major show that I have attended that DLRC has left way early. I can understand an early departure from a show where traffic is light after the first 2 days, but halfway through the first public customer day of a major show seems at least perplexing. I am leaving for Atlanta right after this and maybe I will see you there, though I don't expect it, which is fine since it's the third day of the show. Why did you leave Mid America so early before average customers like me could see you? Best wishes always!

John Feigenbaum said...

Steve, I apologize for the mis-communication with Jason. We had originally planned to stay at the mid-American show to catch a late flight home on Friday but we decided to catch an earlier flight because (from our perspective) the show was extremely quiet. As a company, we've never stayed long at the mid-America show for this reason and the office is so busy that we are much more productive there. To be sure, I was unaware of the meeting or I would have made stayed later, or at least made sure to contact you.

We absolutely value the "average collector", in fact, that is what we are all about -- in the office. Sadly, the retail collector has all but disappeared from the coin show circuit so we tend to use shows as a wholesale venue, while we do virtually only retail business from the office. As a company owner, we cannot afford to send retail representatives (Jason, Win, Jack, etc) to the shows because very few of our clients attend anymore. But we've strengthened our office presence to focus there more strongly.

Again, please accept my apologies. Please email me directly so I can make sure Jason calls you to discuss any further consignments, or any other ways we can be of service.